At Algonquin Portage, we’re here to help you safely transport your canoes. If you’re transporting them yourself, we’ll give you pointers and provide instructions on how to load and secure them to your vehicle. Please note that, for insurance purposes, it’s your responsibility to ensure that your canoe is tied down securely.
Includes: foam pads and adjustable tie-down straps
- Place the canoe on the ground beside your vehicle. Make sure it is positioned equally from front to back parallel to your car.
- Attach four foam pads to the canoe gunnels, spacing them so that once the canoe is tipped over and lifted onto your vehicle, the pads will rest on the roof of the car.
- Lift and tip the canoe onto the roof or your car. Please ask our staff for assistance if you need it. Ensure the yoke of the canoe is not resting on the roof of your car.
- Attach the tie-down straps to the front and back of the canoe.
- Secure the tie-down straps to a strong metal brace or hook under both the front and rear bumpers of your car. Since every vehicle is different, it may be difficult to find a good place to secure the straps. If you’re having trouble, please let us know. We can provide you with Quick Loops, a handy attachment that fits securely under your car’s hood or trunk. They provide stable, strong hooks, but won’t scratch your car.
- Tighten each strap and secure it with a knot.
- Give the canoe a test shake and you’re ready to go!